RE: Geissler Tubes

Original poster: "Philip Chalk" <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Curt,

I love Geissler tubes too, & have wanted to get some for quite some time
now, but don't like the prices from either new suppliers, or for real,
old, antique ones.

As a previous poster mentioned ( & as I'm in Australia ) shipping costs
can add significantly to price.  Obviously they're quite fragile &
delicate, & need careful packaging, shipping etc.

So, I'd thought of, but never tried, asking your friendly neighbourhood
neon sign manufacturer.  I would expect they'd probably know what you're
talking about, by name, but would take pics to explain, just in case.

I also once enquired at Sydney College of the Arts, as they are
'attached' to a University at which I do contract work. The college, I
noticed, had a large 'glass section' - furnaces, kilns, blowing
equipment, etc etc. So I asked someone there about it (I was also
thinking X-ray tubes, etc) & they said basically;-  "Sure, shouldn't be
a problem. Come back when the students are here & ask around.  Should be
able to get someone to help you out."

You can get practically anything done in this country for a case of beer
- though perhaps not with Arts students (??)

Anyway, I never followed up on it.

So, that's my two suggestions - try a neon-sign place, or a local
college/arts-school type place ??  Just a thought.

Would like to hear if you find any good source at reasonable prices.

Cheers,

Phil.