RE: Toroid cores for GDTs

Original poster: Skip Malley <skip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Steve,
thanks for the link. I am a bit surprised that the ones you showed are that much better since the design looks identical except for the mounting base. Obviously, the shielded windings is a totally different thing. The Circumferential Overlaid xfmr in the photos looks virtually identical to the LSE part that I indicated. The LSE part has a large base and likely, the separating of the wires going to the base contributed to the additional leakage inductance.

Look at http://www.theweyside.com/photos/GDT.jpg The one on the right is the LSE part. The Pulse Engineering part on the left has 10 times the leakage of the other. Obviously, the home made ones improve that by another couple notches.

Happy coiling to all.

Skip