Re: Transformers with welded laminations

Original poster: David Speck <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Norman,
The magnetic shunts make them sound like Microwave oven transformers.
They can be driven out to increase the potential current delivery capability of the transformers significantly.

I think the welding is to keep the laminations from vibrating and buzzing during operation. I read somewhere once that the welds are positioned so they don't make big eddy currents.
Dave

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: norman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have come across several misc high voltage transformers with a thin welded
stripe shorting all the laminations together.  Why would the manufacturer do
this since it will cause eddy currents? These transformers also had
(coincidently?) magnetic shunts.