Re: Maxwell 37667 dies interestingly...thoughts?

Original poster: DRIEBEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aaron,

I'd say that your final sentence explains
it for the most part. 400 bps with a 14.7
kV pig is quite a bit more "rigorous" than
120 bps with an NST power supply. But it is
interesting that there was no apparent in-
ternal arcing damage and the "guts" of it
still seemed fully functional. I think others
have mentioned 37667 Maxwell failures with
15 kV rated NSTs, although they seem to
handle sub-15 kV voltages from NST's in stride.
For a 35 kVDC rating, AC RMS volages in excess
of 12 or 13 kV is "pushing" it for Tesla pulse
discharge work. Dr. Resonance opts for a mini-
mum DC voltage rating of 3X the working AC RMS
voltage input in his coils. I'd say the biggest
issue in this situation would be the current in
stead if the voltage though. It sounds like the
heavy currents may not have generated enough in-
ternal heating of the capacitor components to
melt the dielectric and arc over but DID generate
enough heat to create sufficient internal pressure
to crack the external plastic case.

David Rieben