RE: space winding?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

The purpose of space winding a coil is to reduce proximity effect losses
in the coil.  The proximity effect increases the effective resistance,
hence losses, in a conductor, when it is close to the adjacent turn.
Low-loss, high powered transmitter tuning inductors are often
constructed of edge-wound ribbon to maximize the spacing between turns
while also using as much metal as possible.  How they manage to neatly
form an edge-wound ribbon I can't imagine...

The down side of course is that space-winding reduces the inductance per
winding length, so for the same net inductance, you'd have to have a
longer coil.

I don't think that space winding has any effect on the secondary
self-capacitance.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA