Re: Hybrid SG/SISG idea? "IGBT-Assist Spark Gap"?

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Right.  Terry earlier pointed out my illogic :-)  The
crux of the idea, though, was that the SIDACs might be
replaced with an air gap and the drive to the IGBTs
might be consolidated so as to simplify construction
of the beast for high voltages.  Something like Dan's
"IGBT stack" (referenced earlier in this thread) with
drive provided by a cap charged when the gap fires.
Hence, an "IGBT-assist" spark gap.

I still wonder about Terry's concern about the gap
being open too wide and permitting you to fry your
IGBTs.  Certain that would suck, but seems like more
of a design margin thing to me, i.e., give yourself a
few "bonus" IGBTs in your stack, and don't set your
gap too wide (or else...)

That, or just pick up one of those 6500V bricks (a
steal at $1000+! ;-)) and build a mega-tough one-stage
SISG.  Would the present drive circuit be enough for
one of those beasts?  Might have to use the SISG as
presently designed just to drive the brick ;-))  That
would be amusing...

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE