Re: A new mini-coil competition winner!

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 6/6/06 9:20:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

If the component values are shifted a tiny bit we basically get the
coil firing twice on each peak of the sine wave from the
transformer.  So it fires at both 5.5 and 8.3mS  That doubles the
streamer power.   So you are closer to 78W in.

Terry, Karl,

I wouldn't be surprised if Karl's coil is firing 3 or even 4 times
per 60Hz half cycle.  A resonant value cap can cause the
cap to charge very quickly.  Either that, or the firing voltage
is higher than we suspect for some reason.  In any case
I think the input wallplug power is probably 150 watts or so.
This would put the "Freau" number at around 1.5 which is
what I think it should be for this coil.  Even though Karl
built a very nice efficient coil, I doubt it's showing
unexpectedly high efficiency.  But if by some magic it *is* showing
unexpected efficiency, then it must be due to the large spherical
topload because no other factor could explain the
performance IMO.  ( My best guess is there's nothing
special about large spherical toploads either.)  Again, my
guess is that the Freau factor is actually about 1.5, and
that the efficiency is as expected.

I'll do some speculating;
I suspect the coil probably runs with a smooth hissing sound.
This would be because of a high break rate.  The coil may be
producing a thick long bright single coalesced streamer with
a fuzzy end, (tendril-like streamer).  These may require a high
break rate to form.   It would be good if Karl could measure the
input power using a wattmeter, and measure the breakrate
somehow.

John