Coil mystery solved was Re:A new mini-coil competition winner.

Original poster: "Karl L." <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry, all.

Thanks for all of the great ideas you tossed out regarding my new coil performance. I got my old Tek 465 B scope out of storage, and set it up away from the coil. I got a 60 Hz waveform on the display using a small wire antenna. When the gap fired, a vertical line would appear near the peak of the sine wave. At low variac levels, there was one line per 1/2 AC cycle, or fewer. The gap did not fire every 1/2 cycle, sometimes missing two or three. I call this mode "idling" as there are nice 5" streamers coming off the sphere. As the variac goes past 65% the small streamers get large, and start to coalesce and strike nearby objects. The sound changes also. On the scope, there are two vertical lines close together at each 1/2 sine wave now. So it looks as if your microsim model was correct, and the gap is firing twice each 1/2 cycle. The miracles of resonant charging...

Thanks again,

Karl