Re: buying a pole pig

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

In the wild, 7200/12470Y does *not* imply that a 7200V
delta connection is ok.  You also need the pig to have
two HV bushings.  If it has only one, then a delta
supply would imply that the can is "hot", which is no
good.

Regarding overvolting, I seem to recall the Aron and
Justin of www.hvguy.com not only overvolted a 5kVA
7200V unit to 14400V, but also pushed it up to 25kVA
for a Jacob's ladder.  It survived.  May have been
tempting fate, though.  I know the BIL rating of pigs
is for very short-duration spikes, but it's often for
10x (or more) the rated HV of the pig.  It seems hard
to believe, then, that running at only 2x (albiet
continuously) would compromise the insulation, but
obviously anything that risks causing your pig to
explode is BAD!!! :-)  Maybe if your pig has a
removable inspection plate in the lid (one of mind
does) then you should remove that before overvolting
:-))

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE