Re: MOT Primary Current Question

Original poster: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>

On Jun 12, 2006, at 10:15 AM, Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Justin <rocketfuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Greetings!

I have a rudimentary question that's been nagging me every since that
pole pig discussion of last week.

Experience and my gut tell me that an open secondary will draw very
little real current on the primary side.  What I can't figure out is
*why* that's true because from one POV that primary should be a low
resistance short circuit and current should be through the roof!

The windings plus iron core gives enough inductive reactance at 60Hz
to keep the open-secondary (aka "magnetizing") current to a minimum.

Is it the impedence of the coil + core that keeps things from going
bananas?

Yes.

  Some sort of magneticlaly induced EMF that opposes the current
flow?  My gut also tells me that if I simply make a coil out of wire
and stick it in my wall outlet the current would definitely be there.

Without a big iron core, you'd better believe that's what will happen!

 - B(G)L