Re: MOT Primary Current Question

Hi,

In the plasma ball test last night, we were running two MOTs in series to get the voltage up to 5400V charging a 60uF cap through 440k ohms "SLOW"... After a few minutes the "dumb" fuse blew :-p I forgot the thing even "had" a fuse... The cores were in far saturation and eating current like mad.... It was an 8 amp slow blow...

Fortunately, we were able to come up with the "proper" size replacement right away :o)))

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/No-Blow_fuse.JPG

Unlike a penny, 1/4 inch copper tube fits just right ;-)))) There was even A mic to get it right at 1.25 inches long :o)) But core saturation in MOTs really limits them to like 90VAC devices... But played with right, they can do wonderful things!!!

Cheers,

        Terry