RE: DRSSTC III Success 48" arcs from a 12" secondary!

Original poster: <dhmccauley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks to Part Scavenger . . .

The correct link should be:

http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/drsstc03_01.jpg

Thanks
Dan

DRSSTC III Success . . .

Well, i have met great success with the prototype DRSSTC III coil i've been
working on for the past year.  Our final prototype is finished and we have
successfully exceeded our initial goal of 30" and we had many hits to a 48"
strike target this evening.

Originally, I had kept my current limit to approximately 550A, and this was
keeping arc length down to about 32-34".  However, once I pushed it up
almost 700A, and reduced pulsewidth from 300us to 100us, i was easily
hitting 40"-48" targets with no problems whatsoever.

I'm sure with increasing the current limit a bit more, i could probably
snake a few more inches and possibly hit 50", but better not be greedy!!!

Here is a photo (composite) of the DRSSTC III running this evening.  The
strike target in the top right of the target is 40" from the break-out
point, and the distance to the cable where the arc at right bottom is
hitting is about 45".

http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/drsstc3_01.jpg

Not bad from a 12" secondary, eh???

Dan