Re: RF secondary grounds (was: exploding wire)

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

This is bittersweet news to me. it means I cannot improve my coil's output using a better ground. But, it means that I can continue using my houseground, which is extremely convenient. Thanks for the post

(IT IS WORKING FINE GUYS! DONT WARN ME AGAIN ABOUT THE DANGERS OF IT, BOTH FOR THE HOUSE AND COIL)

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RF secondary grounds (was: exploding wire)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:21:22 -0600

Original poster: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>

On Jun 14, 2006, at 10:17 PM, Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

How much of a difference in performance does using an RF secondary
ground make?
Can using a crappy ground, verses a great ground, affect voltage
output dramatically?

I once did a series of experiments with two coils - a 500 watt
tabletop coil, and a
12kW 8 foot tall coil.

to the best of my recollection (this was about ten years ago), I tried:

* a long 10 gauge wire grounded to a building ground rod about twenty
feet away

* a "capacitance plate" under the coil of about 4 square feet, with
the theory
that it would provide almost no ground at 60Hz, but would couple to
the earth
well at the operating frequencies of the coils

* a single 4 ft. ground rod

* four 4 ft. ground rods

* the 4 ft. ground rods together with the "capacitance plate"

We saw no difference in performance with the same settings on each
coil on each run.

 - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux