Re: Circuit Analysis: DRSSTC

Hi Greg,

At 09:37 AM 6/20/2006, you wrote:
Hi All,

Is their a primary circuit schematic and waveform set that defines the quintessential DRSSTC?

Almost "any coil" with the "drive" as a say +- 300V square wave synced to drive the primary current...

Searches of pupman archives seem to hint at resonant primary switching, with relatively long (>>6 cycles) dwell times -- similiar in nature to a resonant-mode converter.

DRSSTCs can "drive" as "long as they want" until a current limiter is reached or the silicon spills all over the ceiling :o)))

I had originally thought that the DRSSTC uses a full-wave bridge, in a hard switch-mode approach (square primary voltage waves, ramped primary current waves, sinusoidal secondary V&I waves.)

There are half bridges too... Dan's DRSSTC III is a half bridge drive... But they are all "hard driving" given their specific rail voltages...

I'm currently running a batch of simulations in Simplorer (Ansoft...), and wanted to further characterize the relative efficiencies and drawbacks of various primary switching topologies.

You just "drive it" ;-))) Being able to do drive the switch over at the "zero current crossing" is a big deal. Most circuits do the crossover significantly "late". The propagation delay between the current transducer saying "go" and the IGBTs actually "doing it"... Usually not a giant problem at all..

If you are doing "batches".... ScanTesla is probably "all done with it" by now ;-)))

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/scantesla/scantesla762.zip

A "secret" later version with advance streamer modeling. But the streamer constants are still in "flux":

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/ScanTesla763/scantesla763.exe

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/ScanTesla763/scantesla763.c

But "bleeding" edge there...

Cheers,