Re: Circuit Analysis: DRSSTC

Original poster: acmq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Antonio,
>
> Great work.  I now understand from your program that the DRSSTC
> *does* operate as a resonant-mode converter;  the primary current is
> mostly sinusoidal, and there is a resonant cap in series with the
> primary.  For some reason, I had originally thought that the DRSSTC
> IGBT switches hard-switched directly into the primary, from an
> arbitrarily large capacitor bank.

But the switches really switch a DC voltage over the L1-C1 series
association. The DR is for double resonance. The circuit has two
resonanced because of the primary capacitor.

> One question:  does your solver for the 'Lossy Design' have a way to
> calculate the total energy lost to primary circuit resistance during
> the initial ring-up?

No. The model implemented on the dedicated simulator in the program does
not have resistance in the primary. I will see if I can add and calculate
losses. There is a program TRSSTC in http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs
that solves the magnifier version of the DRSSTC, and the simulator there
has losses implemented. It does not calculate the lost energy, but you can
see its effect in the plots.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz