Re: 1256D Paralleling Choke

Hi Daniel,

Seems like using two variacs in series will help the volts per turn if using 120V variacs, but the 1256's are already 240V variacs rated at 28 amps each. Puting them in series still gives you a variac rated at 28 amps does it not??

Gerry R.

Original poster: Daniel Hess <dhess1@xxxxxxxxxx>

Since you're using only two variacs, why not just run each as a 120 volt unit; One leg of the 120 VAC to the input of each winding, common neutral, and the two wipers form a 0-240 output?

Daniel Hess

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

I've got 2 1256's I've mechanically ganged together. I now need to build a
paralleling choke for them. I've read some posts and websites on how this is
done, but they talk about using an old variac as the core. I have a ferrite
torroid that measures 2.25 inches O.D. 1.50 inches I.D. and is .75 inches
wide. I believe the core is physically large enough to get 16 turns of 8AWG
around it, but I'm concerned if the core is magnetically large enough or
not. Any thoughts about this would be appreciated. I do have two of these
cores, so I could stack them and wind through both at once if need be.

Thanks,
Cameron