Re: Noob Question

There are 2 ways to get 1 streamer.
1 = breakout point.
2 = topload terminal geometry that allows a single breakout based on voltage where the geometry is consistent.

1 or 2 may not be max sparklength. I've found long streamers with 2 or 3 breakouts which have been longer than a single streamer breakout, and sometimes the opposite. I don't believe streamer length is dependent on the number of streamers seen by the eye, but rather power in the streamer(s) in the time domain of the streamer.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

It is not clear to me what the objective is when one wants "one streamer". If it is to get one point for breakout so all the energy is directed in one direction (for that infamous long spark measurement), one can achieve this using a breakout point (such as a thumb tack). If it is to get the largest topload possible and still have a breakout then of course a larger toroid is in order.

Gerry R

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Getting multiple streamers where you previously had just one would
suggest that something has improved with the coil - it's more efficient,
or at least it's processing more power.  The way to get back to one
single, but longer streamer is to use a larger topload, one that is as
smooth as you can manage, and of course vary the primary-side tuning to
keep it in tune.  You may need a breakout point.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA