Three phase transformer arrived for saturation experimentation.

Hello Aaron, HV grp, and all:

Dimensions of core:
4? wide, 8? high, 9? long, inner I cores 2?

Output: Straight forward Wye configuration touted to deliver 5KV@1 Amp. All three winding wires to wye neutral easily accessible. Each winding has a DC resistance of about 40 ohms. Inductance is about 13H on a cheapie meter. Guessing 18 AWG stranded

Input:

There are three inner taps labeled 240v feels like a 10 or 12 AWG gauge wire. On the outter edge taps are (4) taps/winding these decrease closely lower R ohm increments beginning at .9 , .8, .7,.4 ohms. This getting my Beckman. Inductance respectfully: .193, .179, .166, .004 hmm? lablels respectively: +10v, 0, -10, 208v .

Let me make some assumptions the inner Hv winding should be disconnected from neutral and connected to the DC supply. This consists of a 35 amp 400 PVI Bdiode on a pIII heat sink. For starters I?ll use my 1256d since it is set up anyway. I am considering using filtration of 400uf separated by a 23 mh heavy choke 200UF out. Maybe that is unneeded but there won?t be any harmonics or ripple as the current ramps up. I propose to use the 240v outer windings to go to my pig, no neutral. BTW the 208 winding seems heavier?hard to tell.

Ok: those that have suffered through this so far and know the math, how much voltage/current do you estimate it will take to Sat this iron? What do I do with the input windings to the center control core, and the output winding of the outer controlled coils. Shorting em will heat things up fast. Load them maybe? Suggestions are requested. This may be easier with a three phase really heavy duty filter choke. I see them on ebay in fact have a few smaller ones.

My pig is grounded as will this transformer. I have three 4500 watt hot water heaters for starters. I won?t go past 9KW, it would be pity to smoke this perfect 883a transformer!

Thanks Much,
Jim Mora