Re: Mercury

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx I think the discussion of mercury possibly having an effect on Tesla is quite interesting.

I was curious as to just when mercury was banned. Here is what Wikipedia said, under "mercury":

Its use resulted in widespread cases of <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_poisoning>mercury poisoning among hatters. Symptoms included <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremor>tremors, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_lability>emotional lability, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia>insomnia, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia>dementia and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination>hallucinations. The <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Public_Health_Service>United States Public Health Service banned the use of mercury in the felt industry in December 1941.
This information from Wikipedia 3/8/2006.

Of course, Tesla died in 1943.

While I have enormous respect for what Tesla accomplished -- I don't think we would have our present A/C distribution system without him, for example -- I think it is possible that mercury, and possibly extremely high electric fields we all know, had effects on him.

    -- thanks,

    Dave Small