Re: finally done, need confirm.

Hi Aaron,

Back when I did static gaps I used esentially the same gap width (about 20 mils). I had forced air cooling and consistantly got first notch quenching.

Gerry R

I have only one suggestion:  Go with fewer and larger
gaps in your spark gap if possible.  I have no faith
in quenching with 0.5mm spacing.  Give yourself a few
mms and add some air flow.  The air outlet of a Shop
Vac does nicely.  Maybe even a hair dryer.  Low
voltage, high power, static spark gap, and good
quenching generally aren't properties of the same
coil, unfortunately!  I've had decent performance with
an air-quenched static gap at 1.5-2kVA however, and if
I can do it, anybody can ;-)  Some folks have used
even higher powers with static gaps, but generally at
higher voltages.  You may find that the way to get the
most out of your four-stack of MOTs it to build a
rotary spark gap.  Googling should turn up quite a few
recipes suitable for your power level that aren't that
hard to build.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TeslaDanielSchematic.gif