Re: MOT Shunts

Original poster: coils@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Robert,

I have pushed my 6-pack to 4.3 KVa with no problems.  I have tried to get
more power out of it with no streamer growth without fussing to much with
my capacitor or gap, so that is where I back off and close up the ballast.
 I know that I am pushing the conservative limits of ampacity in the wire
by 3 times or so (18+ awg primaries, and 34 awg secondaries).  My rule is
short runs of no more than a minute, and keep the 6-pack under oil just to
keep the windings cool.
After using this 6-pack for two years now, I say it can definately handle
the extra current.  For high performance though, I think the small cores
are the limiting factor, and not necessarily the wire size.  Also, the
higher voltages seen in this diy application are probably more dangerous
to the individual trannies than the current is.

-Thad

Tesla list