Re: De-potting and re-potting a pole pig: Insulation concerns.

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

There you are, Dave! :-)  Well, that is encouraging.
I have lifted a 15kVA unit from its can before, but
this 25kVA unit is just plain scary.  I'm not worried
about the lifting power of my hoist, but rather how to
attach my hoist to it.  It does have a metal bracket
strapped to the top of the core, but shockingly, it
appears to only be about 1/16" thick!  I forget the
exact figure, but I think the nameplate says the
core+coil assembly weighs 350lbs.  I look at that,
then at the wimpy metal bracket on top, and I think,
"no WAY!"  ...but I could be wrong.  Perhaps I should
take a picture and see what people think.

I too have used nylon load binders to lift pole
transformers.  I need to take another close look, but
perhaps I can feed the nylon straps between the core
and coils near the top of the transformer.  The core
is two giant donuts side by side with a single large
coil assembly the runs through the middle of each
donut.  Kind of the opposite of the configuration of
your transformer.  More like a big E-I core.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE