Re: I'm a newbie coiler!- apartment coiling

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 3/13/06 5:05:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>One good solution to a poor, distant ground is to build a twin TC.  This is
>made up of  two identical coils that act as each other's counterpoise.
>Primaries are connected is series, each having half the inductance of a
>single coil.

I've looked at doing a twin system, and this primary configuration has bugged me. Say you have a nice, well-tuned sngle-secondary TC. But then you want to make it a twin. Well, if you connect the primaries in series, you have twice the inductance. And thus you have to use half the primary capacitance to retune the primary. And thus you give up half your power and your twin spark length will go to only 1.4 times the length of the original coil (oversimplifying things?) instead of twice the length. Better to keep the same inductance by redesigning each twin primary to be 1/2 the original's inductance, but maintain same coupling to each secondary?
    Has anybody ever run a twin with *parallel* primaries?

-Phil LaBudde