Re: Static Gap Break Rates

Hi Ed,

Yes, there are short term variations on the BPS, one half cycle may have no firings and the next could have three, for example. It does average out for the most part. I'll have to redo the simulations to see if there are patterns that develope with certain combinations. At the time, I was only interested in the average BPS of say a 4 second simulation time. The BPS variation was very short term (less than 100ms) from what I remember seeing.

Gerry R.

" Given the above, one can see how the BPS can be higher or lower than 120. Any value (within reason) of BPS can result and it is the average BPS that we mostly care about at a given Cp and spark gap setting. One can also see how important it is to properly set the safety or main gap to prevent overvolting the NST.

Gerry R."

You should add that, with the right selection of capacitance and primary voltage, the sparking rate can be chaotic. Easily observed in simulations and in practice (very erratic sparks and accompanying sound).

Ed