Re: Mercury - not Tesla Coiling!

Original poster: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Hypatia=27s_Prot=E9g=E9=22?= <hypatia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello, Mr. Cook :)

Respectfully, having read and considered your post, I assert that the
circumstances of the release (or cleanup) were such that the Hg underwent
thermal volatilization or mechanical suspension ('atomization')???

While although (as with all toxins exhibiting cumulative properties) I too
urge exercise of great caution in handling Hg, I nonetheless feel it has
earned an *underserved* "bad rap" (Re: acute elemental [i.e. atomic]
toxicity)  :( -- *Most* heavy metals are highly toxic (owing [to put it
crudely] to their [or, rather, their ion's] affinity for sulfahydral
compounds [with corollary 'deactivation' of associated enzymes]) --- In
point of fact, from a purely toxicological standpoint, Pb (Lead) represents
a *significantly* greater risk to human health! -- Though I allow that Hg's
'unique physical characteristics' (to wit: low mp. Low viscosity and
relatively high volatility) tend to act as 'hazard enhancers'.

My concern is the 'slippery slope' phenomenon we are witnessing Re: many
highly useful substances!  Consider, for instance, the scheduling of nearly
*everything* as 'precursor substances' (Re: illicit methamphetamine
manufacture) CLEARLY  placement of a *SINGLE* substance (viz;
pseudoephedrine) beyond the casual reach of  'Joe & Jane Six-pack' would
solve the problem!!! Attempting to stem the situation via placement of trade
restrictions on such legitimately useful substances as elemental iodine,
permanganates, alkali metals, etc. is tantamount to outlawing screwdrivers
on the grounds that they might be employed as burglar's tools...  But that's
another rant...

Returning to Mercury --- Treated with the selfsame 'respect' shown other
heavy metals (e.g. Pb, Cd, Zn, Etc. -- but with special attention to
volatility and ease of atomization [despite its high density and surface
tension, Hg's viscosity is on the order of that of water and hence *easily*
'misted' via pouring, etc -- hence it is advisable that transfer of the
metal be conducted in a *closed* manner! --- Also PLEASE TAKE EXTRA
PRECAUTIONS TO KEEP IT OUT OF THE ENVIROMENT! -- Hg's "bad rap" doubtless
owes much to its role in decimation of aquatic food chains!) --- Mercury may
be safely handled -- even by the amateur.

Please don't misinterpret the tone of this post!!! I mean Mr. Cook *NEITHER*
disrespect nor contradiction! -- Nor is my intent that of admonishment ---
Accidents will happen -- to *all* of us!

I am merely stating that reasonable care -- as opposed to avoidance -- is
the sole way forward - lest we build a 'foam rubber' (i.e. safe but
perfectly useless) world  for ourselves.

With sincere respect
Dan Sarandon