RE: In need of a vacuum tube

BTW - With the Chinese tubes I had, you could easily pick the old glue off with a finger nail and rub any remaining glue off with your thumb :-(

Any glue that can stick to glass, metal, and take a "lot" of heat should do fine. I am not sure how much heat say silicone or JB weld can take.

The Svetlana tube have sort of a ceramic vacuum feed through thing that does not seem to use any glue. It looks like it would never fail.

Cheers,

        Terry

At 11:51 AM 3/20/2006, you wrote:
All,

> As for the center cap coming off, if the seal of the tube hasn't been
> broken, you should be able to re-solder the cap on carefully and secure
> it with epoxy suitable for use on glass.  Keep in mind that most 811A's
> are usually fairly old tubes, and the epoxy used to hold the top cap on
> can degrade with heat.

I've done just that. I used JB weld for the epoxy, it takes high temp well.
I let the epoxy cure overnight and the resoldered the cap. I have not
tested/used it since, but I'm sure it will work.

Jonathan
www.madlabs.info