RE: Streamer Color

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

My take is that the streamers are largely continuous between the
grounded CD target, and the breakout spike on the topload, with the
color transitioning between bluish-white at the CD and pinkish at the
breakout spike.

I have played with coloring streamers by applying metal salts (good 'ol
NaCl is one of the best!) on the breakout point and have enjoyed
brilliant colors that diminish with distance from the salt.  I'd wager
that if the CD and spike positions were swapped, the colors would swap
as well.  My guess is the Al in the CD is responsible for the
bluish-white.  I've only seen pinkish plasma in rarified water vapor
(see http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/minicoil.htm about 80% down the
page).

A Jacobs Ladder is probably a better vehicle to experiment with colored
sparks.  Just apply salt granules to moistened rods, and it will really
spice up the show!  NaCl gives a brilliant yellow, LiCl gives a deep
red, superior to strontium nitrate or chloride IMO.  You can even have
multicolored rods.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA