RE: grounding NST's

Original poster: Sparktron01@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Q, Steve

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Q, all,
>
> Personally I believe that grounding a NST to RF ground is a bad-ish
> idea. The reason is that the incoming line voltage powering the NST
> is referred to green wire ground. Therefore, any RF voltage appering
> on the RF ground will also appear between the NST primary winding and
> the core, which might cause flashovers.

<SNIP>

I agree with Steve on this one.  It is very important to safety bond metallic
components, _particularly_on_the_LV_(control)_side to a known reference
(i.e. safety AC ground).  I would also put a line filter on the primary side
of a MOT or NST and a RFI choke (low impedance to 60Hz, high impedance to RF) on the ground between the case of the NST and a Terry filter on the
HV side.

Grounding/bonding is a critical exercise to industrial equipment; people have
DIED by having defective safety ground bonds.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA