Re: SRSG questions

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

Hi Ben...

if it sez its 1725 then its 1725 with some modifications to the rotating core it can be made to be 99.9% approximately 1800 rpm... not truley synchonous it will "lock into a 1800 rpm mode " but will not lock into the same position everytime usually one of the 4 90 degree sectors off... it may take a couple of tries starting and stopping the gap motor to be in "time" with the real sine wave feeding the coil...

G-10 is a resin/fabric laminate ( usually a glass fabric) that is very sturdy and hard to machine ( due to the fabric dulling the tooling bit) standard color is tan or olive but it can come in several other colors if specifically ordered that way... ( I got mine in blue) McMaster Carr is one of the best sources for G-10....

power arcing is when you really punch up the power and the arc that is created at the disc electrodes and the stationary electrodes continue to transfer electricity even after the spinning ( disc) electrodes have gone past the point of "self exstinguishing" the present arc ... my SRSG employs a copper ring between the 4 disc electrodes and there are pit marks well beyond an inch past the electrode where the hi power arcs have traveled on the copper band..... but then again Im pushing close to 38KV thru my system at full throttle...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: ben eells <squeels2171@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm trying to build a SRSG for my next coil and I've got a few questions. I've found from others examples that I need an 1800 or 3600 RPM synchronous motor. I called our local motor store and they assured me they had a 1/3 hp 1800 RPM synchronous motor. I went to go buy this motor and found that the stamp on the casing says 1725 RPM's. The sales person said it was a synchronous motor built with an outer coil with spinning bars on the inside as opposed to the 2 coil system, so it appears he knows what he's talking about. My question is could I use this motor for a SRSG? My next question is what is G10 and where can I get it? Apparently everyone uses it for their disc but I've never even heard of it. Finally, I noticed the recent post on power arcing of SRSG's but I don't know what power arcing is. Could someone explain please? As always I appreciate the help.