Re: Recent s.s.t.c. work

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

Changing the connections of D8 & D9 and upping R6 to ~5 ohms appears to have eliminated the apparent oscillation problem; with no h.v. applied, everything now remains cool. But...when I turn up the IGBTs' h.v. to perhaps 15% of max., I still find too much dissipation in Q2, D8 & R6. This totally baffles me since the duty cycle is only ~1.1%, the h.v. only ~15% of full mains, and simulation indicates an rms current in R6 of only about 1.7A--but that at (simulated) >full< h.v. and 100% d.c. So the operational rms should be miniscule The scope (connected differentially because of the mains v. present) shows a clean gate waveform while those components are getting hot. So something is badly amiss: the circuits should coast along under those conditions.

Still at it, altho slowly...

KCH

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <mailto:kchdlh@xxxxxxx><kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

...and further: I find, in the simulation (and on further consideration in the real world), that D8/D9 ought to be connected right at the IGBT gate rather than separated from it by R6. Moving them in the simulation and upping R6 to 5 ohms or so cuts the oscillation in D8/Q2--but there's some still present in D9/Q3. Raising R6's resistance to 15 ohms or so also greatly improves the phase-shift problem--but I'd like a better way to do that since such a large R6 starts to roll off the rise/fall of the gate drive.

Maybe more later...

KCH

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <mailto:kchdlh@xxxxxxx><kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

Here's a bit of a puzzle; perhaps someone can offer a clue toward solving it. I post

<http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/tch-drvr.jpg>http://
[snipped]