RE: Gap spacing

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

It sounds like you have already heard the advice suggesting that it is
necessary to experimentally set the gap so it just fires with only the
NST connected, but are looking to save the 10 minutes it would take to
do that.  A total gap width of 0.25" is a conservative figure for a 15kV
power supply.  You can use that, perhaps be disappointed in the
performance, assume the gap width was too conservative and open it
arbitrarily until the coil rocks.  How long will it take to find another
15/120 NST?

I personally prefer a single sucker gap using a vacuum cleaner motor to
a multi-gap configuration.  It's much easier to set the width, and you
don't have to anticipate in advance how many segments and what
separation you need.  See http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/onegap.htm.  But
with a 15/120 power supply, you may wish to start thinking about using a
sync RSG.

Gary Lau
MA, USA