Re: Racing Spark Prediction

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: dest <dest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hallo Kurt.

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

btw - have you experienced in person something like this racing
beauty:

I have. Had a similar one on my "Black & White" 10kW coil, which is
with a big topload (1.6m diameter)

yeah, it`s even brighter than on pic from my link, but it was to be
expected - your coil is several times more powerful. your toroid is
not even bigger than windings lenght, so sorry Kurt - i don`t think
that it is big at all, not for this secondary definitely : ) for my
first 2kw tesla transformer i had constructed 1m toroid, winding
lenght is about 0.92m - this toroid not big too, but i hope my
secondary would enjoy it, at fist time at least : )

Needed some repair on the secondary, which was easy to accomplish,
because the coil is space-wound.

yeah again - iirc you named this coil as "b&w" because of using white
rope as spacer, but somewhere in the process of winding this rope has
suddently ended and you wound the rest with black one? something like
that. heck, i read about this probably 2 years ago, when Antonio gave
me the link on your induction coils page : )
you were looking so small, but so happy, staying near finished sec % )

primary is flat and about as high as first sec turn afaics, but toroid
is too high probably - what k you were running at that time?

Hi Dimitry,

k at Technorama time was set relatively high to k=0.18 (prim ~5cm above first sec turn). Later we found out, seconding Dr.R's experience in that subject, that this coil was working even better (and saver) with k=0.095. An Excel with k measurements (50Hz method!) vs. calc's is in this zip-file:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/bw_mk.zip

The 9.5% coupling coefficient was also used last year, when presenting B&W on occasion of the Einstein-festivities in Bern:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/B&Wbei%20EinsteinBE.jpg
Sparks up to 4.6m were obtained at the time.

You are right about size of the toroid: it would probably support a bigger one. Well, size is relative, and I was just comparing to sizes of other big coils. With this toroid, I'm getting one or at most 2 "streamers", when using it without breakout point. I'm quite satisfied with field control by the toroid (no corona at sec top; not too excessive number of hits to the primary). But I didn't try different heights of the toroid (too lazy for the mechanical effort), sorry...

I was delighted, seeing you remember how the name of B&W was created ;-)

Kurt