Re: Defibrillator

Original poster: "Nick Andrews" <nicothefabulous@xxxxxxxxxxx>

As part of our supervisor training in the heavy highway construction field, we got CPR/first aid classes where we got to learn to use the auto-defibbers. They are pretty much moron-proof. You place the patches on the victim, hit the button, the machine takes a mini-EKG and then tells you if a shock is needed. If it is, it tells you to stay clear of patient and hit the button again. Then it delivers the shock. They also many times have built-in voice recorders that can be played back later to find out what happened in the vicinity and help protect good samaritans from idiot ambulance-chaser lawyers in case the person dies anyway.

Nick A

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Defibrillator
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 15:05:36 -0600

Hi Jonathan, Jim, all,

I am also a firefighter by profession, though I do NOT carry an
EMT license (that's because I entered the fire service in 1988
and my municipal employer didn't require EMT certification for
firefighters until 1991). I do come across defibs quite often in the
course of my job however and as a matter of fact, we carry an
automatic defib on the fire apparatus that I drive. We were just issued
it a few weeks ago and haven't had to use it in the field YET. Most
of the defib caps that I have come across look to be in the 5.2 kV
at 34 uFd range but are surprisingly small for that much
energy (high energy density). The "standard" shock settings are
200 and 360 joules, so using the energy formula E= 1/2CV~2,
that means a 34 uFd cap would need to be charged to3430 volts and 4600 volts
to deliver a 200 J and a 360 J shock, respectively. Of course, these are the shock energy settings for the older defibs carried on ambulance units and I'm not really
sure what the settings for the fully automatic ones that are desinged
for use by any reasonbly prudent adult of the general public as there
are no external controls for the shock delivery (that's probably a good thing!) The thought of John Q Public being able to shock the first person he/she see's fall unconscious is a bit troubling to me as an emergency service professional but I
understand that these newer auto befibs are pretty much "idiot-proof".

David Rieben