Re: Racing Sparks

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

They only cut across small portion of the sec coil because these are the areas where multiple frequencies exist, ie, the new "top" of the coil as formed from the base location, ie, 1/4 wave resonator length. These exist in multiples measured from the base and and completely dependent on the frequency, which of course splits when critical coupling is exceeded. Two different freqs equals two different top 1/4 lamda points. These points are usually, as you observed, only a short distance apart from each other.

Dr. Resonance

I have been reading the theoretical arguments put forth. They are well
structured arguments. But I am not so sure that they fit with what is
actually observed. The racing sparks that I have seen  apeared to be
no longer then about a centimeter, cutting across maybe 15 or 20 turns
of 22 gauge wire.

The swarms of tiny arcs seemed to come and go, but they didnt exactly
apear to be moving either up or down. (although admittedly the eye can
only react so fast, so you need a high speed camera.)

The shortness of arcs cutting across a few dozen meters of wire
suggest to me that there are high frequency components, within the
secondary.

Jared Dwarshuis