Re: Racing Spark Prediction

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

> Original poster: Vardan <vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> I think that the theory is that racing arcs are caused by a
> reflection of a third harmonic bouncing back from the top of the coil
> on the first cycle.  Paul or Dmitry can confirm that.  Having the top
> third of the coil reverse wound is supposed to squash that 3rd
> harmonic reflection and perhaps cure the racing arc.  At least that
> is how I understand it.

I can see no reason why reversing the winding would squash the 3rd harmonic.
Anything you do that changes the L or C will not aborb any energy of the 3rd
or any harmonic.

Yes reversing the winding may increase the loss due to extra R without L,
but I doubt that would be particulaly significant relative to the loss at
the fundemental.
Even if  the R is placed at a current peak of the 3rd harmonic. I bit of
calculation would confirm that or not.

Robert (R. A.) Jones
A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl
407 649 6400