Re: Overtones and velocity factors

Hi Paul,

Tesla list wrote:

Paul wrote:
Those Seibt coils might be good ones to use for examining
propagation of the various modes.

High voltages - who needs 'em :)  Measurements are more rewarding
in the long run.  Making sparks - Bah!   Hope you can measure
some resonant frequencies and the associated in-coil wavelengths
to demonstrate the above.
--
Paul Nicholson
--

I don't think the Seibt coil would be good at all for this test.
My Seibt (inches):

If I were to put a modest top load on it (removing the corona wires), a primary would also need to be built. For such a long h/d of 32, one would have need to build a helical primary to get the coupling in the range of what is normal if the primary is maintained at the bottom of the Seibt. And even with a helical primary, it's not a pretty picture:

2.5 = Radius 1
2.5 = Radius 2
17.375 = Height 1
27.345 = Height 2
15.03 = Turns
0.25 = Wire Diameter
0.01 = Primary Cap (uF)

The primary just makes k at 0.136 but note proximity of the coils and the 10" of perpendicular climb. I think there would be all sorts of pri to sec trouble.

The use of a Seibt may be getting off the path prematurely.
What you want are base current captures from a normal coil producing racing sparks.

Take care,
Bart