Re: Frequency Splitting

Original poster: "Daniel McCauley" <dhmccauley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sorry Jared, that is incorrect on both accounts.
If you had two identical tank circuits and coupled them together, there would be no beat frequency. Of course in the real world with tolerances on components, you would get a very small one, but in the ideal case, there would not be a beat frequency
or frequency splitting as the amount of C each side sees would be identical.

Also, even with frequency splitting, the tank circuit doesn't operate a one single frequency. It operates with components of both major splitting frequencies (lack of a better word to call them) as well as additional harmonics which are very small compared to these
two major frequency modes.

Dan

I cringe when I see the words "frequency splitting", and I will tell
you why.

We could take two identical tank circuits and couple them. We will
still get a beat frequency.

Ah , but what about "frequency splitting?"

Be realistic, they are identical tank circuits. One tank could not
possibly operate at a different frequency then the other. There is
no "splitting".

However both tank circuits will now operate at a frequency that is
different from the uncoupled state.

" There Is always a word or a phrase to be substituted for when
meaning is lacking"
(Imanuel Kant, paraphrased, and translated)

Sincerely:  Jared Dwarshuis