Re: Grinding flats into motor to make syncronous help!

Hi Aaron,

There are three options (I did not make the ZIP file...) It was the guy in CA but his name escapes me at the moment... He has been on Ripley's a few times with Danielle Stampe... Blame him :o)))

1. Cut them like picture motors_2.gif.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/motors_2.gif

2. Cut them like picture salnt_3t.jpg.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/salnt_3t.jpg

3. Or, just cut them 0.75 inches wide ;-)

The first two do not match, and they should.... But if salnt_3t.jpg had followed the directions in motors_2.gif they would have been way too small....

I think John Freau has shown it is just not real critical... The more you cut the higher the torque but the hotter the motor gets...

"I think" 0.75 inches would be fine. However, many on this list like Dr. R, Bill Wysock, John Freau... Would know far more than me... All my gaps are electronic now ;-)) If you mess up, you can use one of my old sync gaps ;-))) But I think 0.75 wide to like an inch wide would work fine. You can always cut more but it is hard to put metal back on... The more you cut the hotter they get and the more current they draw which can be a pain...

Your dimension "d" in the picture is probably just fine too... I don't think anyone has ever made a sync motor, no matter how much they cut, that did "not" work... I like less, to cut down on motor heating, work, and lower current draw... It does on take much to spin a rotor...

Cheers,

        Terry