RE: Down to earth, off subject but safety consideration

Hi Bart,

I'm not an electrician (but I am slowly updating my electrical), but let's
consider a modern washing machine for a moment. The neutral may not be tided
to any place for ground as the manufacture assumes a grounded GFI receptacle
and provides a plug according. Now suppose something really bad happens to
said washer like hot gets shorted to the case of the washer. There is no GFI
and no ground to blow a breaker. Furthermore, let's assume there is a metal
drain sink to drain the washer loads. I would not want to place my left hand
on the sink and open the washer door.

Bit by <300v and more:-( almost everyway but this one which could prove
fatal if not damaging to the heart.

I have plaster walls circa 1953. I can remove the 1x4" plaster base board
and run Romex(code in California) in the opening without making too big of a
mess. All our appliances and computers are on dedicated lines. I made my
wimpy service entrance into a sub panel (neutral is NOT bonded to ground
here, ground returns...audio will haunt you) and mounted a 100 amp service
outside (neutral is bonded to ground here by code) and mine is heavy duty!

If your state requires conduit then tearing out the plaster or plaster board
is how most re-habers do it. Three wire for safety! Conduit is good in
schools and industrial buildings, but home owners ought to be able to
reasonably upgrade their electrical! Especially Coilers :-)

Jim Mora