Re: PIRANHA - New Top Load Configuration

Hi,

I got the secondary pretty coated now :-)

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/PIRANHA-total-01.JPG

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/PIRANHA-total-02.JPG

The EnviroTex stuff did a great job even though I did not "baby" it at all ;-))

Remember the dragons:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Dragons.JPG

If there is no breakout point, they corona glow off their wings real cool!!

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/PIRANHA-DragonsGlowing.JPG

Best digital picture I could take...

I am not sure if the 8 inch balls are "too big" yet... I can pump a full 300kV into them and they don't even try to break out... But when they do, I am sure it will be "spectacular" +:D I sort of think 6 inch balls might be a better choice for similar ~1kW coils... I will start removing the shorting jumpers in the SISG sections next to pump up the power far greater ;-)))

Cheers,

        Terry

The PIRANHA coil is finally going ;-))

For primary tuning, I set up the signal generator to frequency sweep from 100kHz to 110kHz.

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Tuning.JPG

This gave me a nice graph to show the primary frequency:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/tuning.gif

One "nice cable position" gave me 102.5kHz with is close enough  :-)

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/PIRANHA-Const-012.JPG

I then bolted it all together to finish it up (still need to poly coat the secondary coil):

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Complete-1.JPG

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Complete-2.JPG

Here it is doing 25 inch arcs at 1/2 power:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Firing.JPG

I can't run full power indoors. I loose about 10% in spark length due to the hidden primary (lower coupling) but it wants to arc "too far" already :-D

So it turned out real good!!

Cheers,

   Terry