Re: Paralleling Chokes

Original poster: "Andrew Cobaugh" <phalenor@xxxxxxxxx>

I followed something similar to what this website describes:

    http://bellsouthpwp.net/B/u/BunnyKiller/parallel.html

You can see my implementation of the variac core choke to parallel 3
powerstat s-780's (a very old version of the modern day 1256d):

    http://kb3ewy.com:8000/files/serenity/paralleling_chokes/

And then testing them:

    http://kb3ewy.com:8000/files/serenity/variac_stack_testing/

I would recommend getting variac in the 3 to 7 amp range that you can
spare to tear apart. The cores I used were a tad on the small side
(something between the 2-3A range, but I lucked into a lot of 12 for
real cheap), and winding 2 sets of 10 turns of #10 was almost
impossible due to the inner core diameter.  They are probably a little
small as far as core mass goes, but initial testing up to a couple
hundred watts shows promising numbers when measuring currents and
voltages between variacs in the stack. They all stay within 0.5 volts
of each other for the full rotation when stacked and engaged together.

On this note, question to the list: Would it have been better if I had
used one single large variac core, and just wound 3 windings on it and
wire it similar to the way you parallel 2 variacs?

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

In the process of builing my "dream" power control console I am
planning on connecting two 1256D variacs in parallel.  To do that I
understand I need a paralleling choke.  Does anyone have such a
device for sale? Or as a second choice, does anyonbe have any
suggestion how I could build one?

Thanks,

Curt.