Pole Pig.

Original poster: "Chip Ford" <chipford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for the almost over-whelming response from everyone. There seems to be some differences in opinion. I really don't understand everything you guys were talking about. Especially the "BANG" energy and figuring the joules. I assume this is what is released from the caps and dumped into the primary coil. The main differences seem to be the BPS. I assume that BPS = Bangs per Second. Is there such a thing as too many BPS? Also, instead of running the ARSG (Air Rotary Spark Gap I presume) faster. Couldn't you just add more moving electrodes or even better, a second set of stationary electrodes? If you do this, a 3450 rpm motor with 8 contacts will yield 460 BPS normally. When you add a second set of stationary electrodes at 45 deg. or maybe better 135 deg., you just doubled your BPS to 920 ! Does this sound right to everyone? Has anyone tried this?

Anyway, I am hoping to here something about my pole pig soon. I have acquired (2) Maxwell .03uf caps (37667). I am also hoping that the 7200 volts I spoke of earlier. is from bushing to ground. With a (2) Horned pig, This would yield 14,400 Volts indeed.

Now, can we talk about the ballast for a minute. The function of this and how to wire it in is a little fuzzy. I am thinking it will be wired in series with the with the primary curcuit. I have spent most of my "Tesla Time" working with NST. I have never used a "Ballast" with one. I am trying to understand what is going on with it. What I am getting so far is that this "Load" somehow keeps from over-volting things. I don't know how to figure what to use? I know where to get several different sizes of "Larger transformers" reasonabley priced, I just don't know what to look for yet nor what it's function is in a TC. I know that in an old automotive breaker point system, the ballast was a resistor used to keep from over-heating/over-volting the coil. I think that the "Ballast" in a fluoresent light is a Step-up transformer used to make the plasma in the bulb. I know that "Ballast" can also be wieght added to a ship or a race car for example. I'm sure someone out there will straighten me out on this stuff.

My name is Chip and I'm an addict. To T.C's. that is......