From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 3:10 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Pool Pig...

Original poster: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

Your coil project is certainly attainable Chip.  What
about ballasting though?  Have you considered that?
You'll need something to restrain your pole pig, or it
will instantly overload your circuit breaker.  I use a
240v AC "buzz box" type arc welder in series with my
pig to limit it to no more than 48 primary amps.  9
runs out of 10, I left the welder leads open-circuited
and ran at only 7-8 primary amps.  This was not only
much easier on my coil setup, but also much easier on
my nerves!  Brief, high power runs were fine for
visitors, but 1700VA was much more useful for
structured play.

Before you go blowing $100 a pop on used Maxwells, try
running the numbers on 150nF/2KV CD942C polypropylene
caps in an MMC grid.  These may give you more nF per
buck than Maxwells.  5 parallel strings of 10 caps
would yield a 75nF/20KV MMC.  That should give your
pole transformer a reasonable cap size to work with.
Once you get the thing tuned up and working, you could
always parallel a second unit with the first one for
150nF total.

Cheers,

Greg