Re: Maxwell 37667 pulse caps

Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sstaylor@xxxxxxxxx>

The Maxwell 37667 caps are fine for coiling as long as a few of the ratings are kept in mind. As several of the people have stated, voltage reversal is a big concern, as is voltage. These caps are designed for high rep rate, I don't know an exact number though 500 pps was mentioned earlier. I have 1 of these caps and have used it with a 12 kV, 90mA supply (2 NSTs in parrallel) and a SRSG, and it hasn't failed yet. I have also seen 4 of them fail simultaneously when used with a pig system and a ARSG. It all depends on how the ratings are maintained.

FWIW, I heard that the "from medical equipment" applies to a system that was designed to break up kidney stones. The caps were used to discharge into a chamber and create an extremely loud sound in order to break up kidney stones inside the body. I have no facts if this is true or not, but would suggest hard, high peak current use for these caps.

Sean Taylor
Twain Harte, CA