Re: Is this a Wheeler coil?

Hi,

See this document and the equations for "Conical Primary" on page three.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/FormulasForTeslaCoils.pdf

Here is a "Variometer" that uses such coils in an "accordion" stack for adjustability.

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/images/radiostations/wwvb-large/hist1.jpg

Some programs might calculate the inductance "better" if needed, or at least to double check:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Programs/MANDKV31.ZIP
http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Programs/MANDKV31.PDF

http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

All this is for "round" spirals. As far as I know, the "square" ones are done by "trial and error"... They are probably "close" to round ones in "area"... The WWVB one is like a 50 year old salvage part from the Navy but I think the put new wire on it...

This "might" tell more:

http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1406.pdf

There is some accuracy date here for flat primaries:

http://www.classictesla.com/sim/k.html

Cheers,

        Terry

At 04:05 PM 11/22/2006, you wrote:
Thank you to all the helpful persons out here in "Teslaland" who have provided their valuable time to assist me.

>From all that help....it seems like my spiral needs are somewhat different in geometry that what I had originally expected.

Picture if you will a flat piece of sheet metal in the X-Y plane...say a square of 48 inches x 48 inches. Into that sheet I need to make CUT a spiral...it can be any 'shape' or geometry...but it needs to have an inductance between 3 to 10 microhenries...approx.

It would be well if the adjoining turns are 'very close' together...say 1/16 inch spacing between turns.

Lastly...and if needed...turns may be at different 'elevations'...such as to make a 'truncated cone" spiral extending in to the Z - axis.

Kinda wonder if Wheeler had this in mind when he developed his equation....

Any/all help is Greatly Appreciated.

Happy Holiday Season to All.
Steve
Email   stephentetorka@xxxxxx