Re: Safety of low powered coil at show

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx

    Hi all,

I'm considering running a low powered Tesla Coil at a car show, since I've found out they are quite the crowd draw. The car in this case is so old there's nothing semiconductor to kill.

My concern is simply crowd safety. I don't want to kill any hearing aids, my son's waist-mounted insulin pump, a pacemaker, things like that.

Barring putting the coil inside of a Faraday Coil and effectively bottling it up (which is one possibility), what are some realistic limits here? Hold it down to an inch of spark, or, test for a given voltage induced at the closest approach to the crowd?

I'd be interested in any help, since some of you have conducted public exhibitions, although I think you've done more of the higher powered coils (grin).

    Feel free to contact me off list.

    Thanks,

    Dave Small