Re: series question..

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Erms x 2.5 always works well with MMCs in Tesla RF circuits. Commercial cap designers such as Plastic Capacitors Inc or Maxwell use Erms x 3.0 for their DC pulse ratings in high rep rate caps (300-600 pps range). I know this becuase I'm a personal friend of Bob Cooper (Maxwell's designer whose mom lives in Tucson) and Beau Meskin (Pres. and founder of PCI Chicago). I've spent some pleasant afternoons at both of their excellent plants.

Dr. Resonance

the "voltage" rating on a transformer is RMS value, the real voltage peak of the sine wave produces about 1.45 times the RMS value

example... 14,400 X 1.45 = 20880 actual volts peak that can be seen by the cap. If you want to over rate your MMC, go for an additional 10% above peak

23,000 should be safe at a minimum range ( I usually try for 40KV -200KV)

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Chip Ford" <chipford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

If I have (8) Capacitors rated at .15uf 2000volt. I connect them in series. Would my rating now be .019uf @ 16,000volts? If I was to go the route of MMC's. How much would one recommend over-rating them for longevity's sake. For example, my pole pig output is 14,400 volts. Will 16,000 be enough??? Or would one recommend plenty of over-rating????

Thanks,
Chip...