Re: first coil progress...

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx In a message dated 10/2/06 2:33:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Snip....

Concerning my belief that running a complete primary circuit with no
secondary would increase the RMS current through the cap - Terry's
simulation and response takes me by surprise!  I had always heard that
this was not a safe thing to do, and reasoned that by removing the
secondary and eliminating any quenching, the peak current remains the
same, but you just get more pri-sec trades in the same bang-interval, so
wouldn't this raise the RMS current?  Or are the gap losses so huge that
what isn't transferred to the secondary is mostly burned up in the gap?

Snip....

Hi Gary,

I'm not sure I follow how you get more pri-sec trades with the secondary removed. Did you mean more damped oscillations in the primary per bang?

Matt D.