Re: Getting brave.

Hi,

No it's not true. Only super high vacuum tubes can do X-rays and then they have to be made just right to put out a "lot" of X-rays. As long as it does not say "X-Ray Tube" you are pretty safe.

Florescent tubes are filled with gases and mercury vapor (banned now) that stop the X-rays. The electrons have to move a considerable distance and accelerate without hitting any gas molecules. So it takes a long high vacuum high voltage tube to do it. Not a common item at all.

TV picture tubes might be a problem, but the glass is filled with "pounds" of lead...

Cheers,

        Terry