From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:47 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Testing High voltage puck diodes. Partial failure od
smiconductors in general

Original poster: "Leigh Copp" <Leigh.Copp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Peter,

Some interesting failure modes there. I think the key difference in
power electronic application however is that the power circuit has
sufficient stored energy to assure nearly total destruction of the
device, once partial failure occurs. In large IGBT modules there are
multiple IGBT's in series and parallel. Typically one or more devices
short from Collector to Emitter, and if it is in series configuration,
this immediately places more stress on the remaining devices, so they in
turn fail in rapid succession. Once a series string is shorted, the
current from the DC bus capacitor takes care of the rest.

Cheers,

Leigh